Saturday, August 2, 2008

August 1 – Gulliver’s travels…

Today is the day I leave for Ghana! I’m excited and nervous and can’t believe this is actually happening! When we got to the airport, we found out that my bag was 10lbs over and with all of the other bags right at 50lbs; we had to pay a whopping $80 for those extra 10lbs!! I’m sure we’ll get reimbursed for that from the organization, but WOW, the airlines have it all figured out!! Lesson(s) learned? 1. Get a scale for home and 2. Don’t offer to take extra stuff for people (as that was what made my bag too heavy).

The BWI-JFK leg was uneventful except that we were on a 50 person plan- I will affectionately call it a “puddle jumper” plane. When Sean (the surgical tech) heard this term he was none too happy as he is about as comfortable flying as Ken is!! A little extra liquid courage later all was well. We all thought it was all very humorous and a great way to start our little mission in the bush, but he was not on board with our humor! We were a little delayed and arrived at JFK with only a little extra time to hit the lavatory and call Ken before we had to board the second segment to Accra. We then proceeded to sit on the tarmac for 2+ hours waiting our turn. Our 5:05pm flight from JFK ended up taking off at 7:45pm!

The second plane was much better than the first; it was a B767-300ER which has about 215 seats. The monitors on the plane showed our progress over the 9.5hr flight. Around 7:45am Ghana time we were passing over Monrovia, Liberia and then the Ivory Coast, and lastly Sierra-Leone. The plane was tight, but with my short little legs, I had more legroom that the average traveler (yessssssss!). I got an eye mask as well as earplugs and they worked wonders- except for one thing. There was this ADORABLE little boy in the last row who, I’m assuming is about 1.5ys. He was crying, but then proceeded to start SHRIEKING almost the entire flight. My earplugs were no match for the pitch or the decibels this kid was putting out. I can only assume that the pressure in his ears was not releasing and mom either didn’t care or more likely couldn’t help him release the pressure.

No comments: